My goals for 2019 have mostly developed out of my sabbatical break in 2016-17. But there's also a few random things in there for fun, such as developing independent toes (yes, you read that right).
It's a longish list, mostly so I can get all the ideas in my head out of my head. In reality, there's no pressure. The ones I want to do will no doubt develop into some kind of habit, the random one-offs will or won't happen, and the rest will fall away.
I've been doing this annual list thing since about 2002. This is the first time I've blogged it. I'm not sure why I'm putting it out there. Maybe it will inspire someone else (I know two other people who are doing the splits challenge) or maybe it will create a potential collaboration.
Usually I break it up into sections – work, health, life, etc – but this year, I've split it into more general areas: mental/emotional, physical, creative, financial and random. The ones in green have already been started/done (or blogged) – that's the January effect but also reflects some longer projects that I'm working on.
- Sunlight – more sunrises, sunsets and sunshine walks.
- Morning hour – plan the day so it doesn't get derailed (try to take in medium/long term goals not just daily stuff).
- Daily pockets of stillness – meditation, walks, unstructured time.
- Weekend interesting read – set up RSS feeds.
- Internet shorts – ahead of TV viewing – see #filmshorts list on Pinboard.
- Make “good enough” decisions but make decisions.
- Clear out attic stuff + finish Marie Kondo.
- Read first chapter of unread books.
- Create/contribute more, consume less.
- More stargazing, more celestial events.
- Join the Royal Geographic Society.
- Do the splits (document the change over the year)
- Flex individual toes on command.
- Surf fitness (+ Point Break night!)
- More elegance, strength (ballet fitness, gym).
- Parkrun (Jan and Dec).
- Diet – more greens and juices, less carbs and crap.
- Dive off a high board.
- Update Active Parks calendar.
- Learn full Tai Chi Yang 24 short form.
- Physical challenge that I can work towards, eg coastal walk, bodyboarding, mountain summit, snowshoe, swimming trip.
- 1SE photo project – colour spectrum.
- Learn to draw, use new pencil set.
- Draw (a bunny?) or make an art each day for a month.
- Publish one of my ebook ideas.
- Zine: guidebook to Stirchley.
- Develop a writing habit towards a longer project.
- RTW Google Earth tour.
- Origami a giant rabbit.
- Create an artwork inspired by Sophie Calle or other female artists.
- Digitise backpacking/travel diaries; stories/art/workshop?
- MOOC – photo/videography, photojournalism, art.
- Get three songs playable on guitar.
- Find all animals on social media called Fiona.
- From 'The Examined Life' – don't just reduce, give back, eg, for every new clothing item I buy, give half the cost to charity.
- Review monthly spend/savings – spreadsheet.
- Household and travel budget – annual spreadsheet.
- Possible New Zealand trip in 2022 – research costs/start saving.
- Digital detox: get Facebook off phone, trim Twitter. set up RSS feeds.
- Professional development/training courses: SEO + Google Ads through Udemy. Or certification through Google Digital Garage.
- Work half days only on screen.
- Find one more regular client.
- Help fix an issue that has always bothered you through volunteering, eg, Fat Fluffs rabbit rescue – next steps (medical care)?
- Research Nat Trust jobs.
- Monthly date night.
- Meet the oldest people in the city.
Hire/commission me: fiona [at] fionacullinan.com